The Correctional Services Department administers the Norwegian Correctional Services. The main tasks of this Department are to act as a secretariat for the political leadership, to work on proposals towards the Parliaments budget proposition, to form policies, laws, regulations, and central guidelines, as well as co-operation with other ministries. The Department also functions as a directorate of the Norwegian Correctional Services.
Main goal of The Norwegian Correctional Services
Enforce reactions set by the prosecution authority and by the courts of law, as soon as they are legally binding, taking into connsideration the security of all citizens and attempting to prevent recidivism by enabling the offenders, though their own initiatives, to change their criminal behaviour.
Main tasks for the Norwegian Correctional Services
- Set the main goals of the Correctional Services.
- Allocate budgets to the six regional administrations.
- Evaluate performance reports demanded at a condition of budget allocation.
- Responsible for tasks not delegated to regional administration.
Main tasks; Correctional Services - Regional level
- Formulate regional goals and directions in accordance with central guidelines, for all lines of professions as well as support functions.
- Allocate resources to local units together with clear priorities and result demands.
- Ensure that regional resources are utilized as efficient as possible
- Treat complaints of decisions made at the local level.
- Supervise local units.
Main tasks; Correctional Services - Local units
The execution of Community sanctions; prison sentences; preventive detention and remands in custody. To prepare social security reports.