Enable Javascript in your browser for an improved experience of regjeringen.no


Guidelines for legalisation in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs

The legalisation office will be closed until 17 April because of the coronavirus. Please check this webpage for changes in the opening hours in the time to come. Documents can still be sent by mail as usual, but you have to expect that this can take a little longer than normal.

Legalised documents can only be used abroad after they have been confirmed by the relevant country's embassy. Please note that some embassies have changed the opening hours in connection with the corona outbreaks.

Norwegian documents that are to be submitted to authorities abroad can be legalised by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. NB! Foreign documents must be legalised in the country they are issued.

What is legalisation?

Legalisation means that the Ministry confirms that the signature and stamp on a Norwegian document are genuine, and that the document has been signed by a public official who is authorised to do so.

Legalisation does not entail any validation of the accuracy of the content of the document.

The normal legalisation process:

  1. The document is certified by a notary public (usually the district court),
  2. It is then legalised by the Ministry.
  3. It will normally also need to be certified by the embassy/consulate in Oslo that represents the country in which the document is to be used.

The persons who may be authorised to act as notary public are set out in section 1 of the Act relating to notaries public and section 2 of the appurtenant regulations  (forskrift om notarius publicus - only in Norwegian).  

What documents can be legalised?

  • All original documents that have been stamped and signed by a notary public or copies that have been certified by a notary publicDocuments that are signed and stamped by a County Governor.
  • The Ministry can certify the signature on documents from chambers of commerce and foreign embassies and consulates in Norway.
  • Original signed and stamped ("lion stamp") transcripts from the tax authorities. 
    Remember to indicate the country in which the document is to be used.
  • The Ministry of Foreign Affairs legalises documents for use in all countries that are not party to the Hague Apostille Convention, see below.


It is the County Governor who has the authority to issue apostille stamps. For more information, please contact https://www.fylkesmannen.no/en/.
Up-to-date list of countries that are members of Hague Apostille Convention.

Documents to be used in Nordic countries do not need an apostille stamp. The documents only need certification by a notary republic.

My document needs to be translated before it can be legalised. Can the Ministry do the translation?
No, the Ministry does not translate documents for the general public.

If a translation of the document is required by the state in which it is to be used, this must be done by a government authorised translator. The translation, together with a copy of the original document, must be certified by a notary public before it can be legalised by the Ministry or the County Governor.

Link to Translatørportalen

Can the Ministry tell me whether my document needs to be legalised?
No, you need to check this with the embassy/consulate in Norway that represents the country in question.

Practical information

Legalisation by the Ministry is free of charge.

There are two ways of getting a document legalised by the Ministry:

  1. You can submit your document in person during the legalisation office’s opening hours (see below).
  2. You can send your document by post.

If you come to the legalisation office in person, the principle of ‘first come, first served’ applies. We legalise documents on an ongoing basis as they come in. It is not possible to make an appointment in advance. If you have more than ten documents to legalise, you may be asked to return the next day or to have the documents sent to you by post.

Documents that are sent in by post will be returned by first class post (A-post). It is not possible to send documents for legalisation by recorded delivery; they must be sent in the ordinary post. Remember to indicate the country in which the document is to be used, and enclose a stamped, addressed envelope. The address of the legalisation office is given below.

You should allow up to ten working days for the return of your document(s). You will need to allow more time if you have not provided sufficient information about the country concerned or your full contact details. If you would like the Ministry to forward the document(s) to the relevant embassy/consulate in Norway, the stamped, addressed envelope enclosed must be addressed to the embassy/consulate in question.

Documents that are sent with no return address, or that are returned to the Ministry (address unknown), or that are not picked up will be destroyed after six months.

Visitors’ address: 
Kronprinsens gate 10, Oslo.

Opening hours:

The legalisation office will be closed until 17 April because of the coronavirus. Please check this webpage for changes in the opening hours in the time to come..

Tuesday and Thursday 09.30–12.00 and 13.00–14.30

The legalisation office is closed on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and public holidays.

The Legalization Service is closed Tuesday 5th May, Thursday 24th, Tuesday 29th and Thursday 31st December 2020.

Postal address: 
Seksjon for konsulære saker 
Postboks 8114-Dep. 
0032 Oslo

E-mail[email protected]

The legalisation office does not have a telephone service.

Map - legalisation (MFA).