Historical archive

Domestic violence

Historical archive

Published under: Solberg's Government

Publisher: Ministry of Children, Equality and Social Inclusion

The Action Plan against domestic violence for the period 2014–2017 was submitted in August 2013. The plan contains 45 measures for combating domestic violence, and replaces the previous plan.

Crisis centre provision

The crisis centre provision is a low-threshold provision offering refuge to victims of domestic violence and their children during a transitional phase. The purpose of a crisis centre provision is to provide users with support, guidance and help in contacting other parts of the public services. The provision includes a 24-hour helpline, residential facilities, a daytime provision and follow-up during the re-establishment phase. The residential facilities for women and men are kept physically separate. The crisis centre provision is a low-threshold provision, so that persons subjected to violence or threats of domestic violence can take direct contact without a need for an appointment or referral. The provision is free of charge.

From 1 January 2010, the crisis centre provision was made a statutory responsibility of Norwegian municipalities. The Act of 19 June 2009 relating to municipal crisis centre provision requires all Norwegian municipalities to provide a crisis centre provision for their inhabitants. The state support for crisis centre measures has been included in the municipal budget frameworks. The municipalities therefore cover 100% of the operating costs of Norway’s crisis centre measures. All municipalities are required to have a crisis centre provision, either within the municipality or in cooperation with neighbouring municipalities. Compliance with the Act is overseen by the County Governor.

Support centres against incest and sexual abuse

The support centres provide advice, support and guidance to persons who have been subjected to incest or sexual abuse and to the families of child victims. The services provided by the centres include telephone counselling, individual interviews, and participation in self-help groups. Users who need treatment are given appropriate referrals.

A country-wide help line for persons subjected to incest and their families is operated by the Vestfold Incest Centre. The support centres receive a total of 20% support from municipalities, health care enterprises and county authorities and state support for the remaining 80%. The Directorate for Children, Youth and Family Affairs is responsible for managing the state support scheme.


The grant scheme

The Directorate for Children, Youth and Family Affairs administers a grant scheme for measures to combat domestic violence, and also provides operational support to organisations whose main activities include efforts to combat domestic violence. For Guidelines and calls for grant applications, see the directorate’s website.

Alternative to violence (ATV)

Alternative to violence (ATV) is a private foundation that for many years has developed and operated treatment facilities for perpetrators of violence. The foundation receives state support from the Ministry of Children and Equality. Nine ATV centres are currently in operation, while three more are in process of being established. At several locations in Norway, ATV cooperates with the Family Counselling Services.