Article | Last updated: 2016-09-22 | Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Today, Norwegian Minister of Foreign Affairs Børge Brende presents five recommendations intended for the next Secretary-General of the United Nations, together with colleagues from Colombia, Ethiopia, Ghana, Indonesia, Jordan and Mexico.
These countries are partners in the UN70 initiative. During the last year, the UN70 initiative has developed a list of recommendations for the next UN Secretary-General. The recommendations are launched at a high-level meeting in New York during the opening week of the 71st General Assembly.
The high-level event in New York will be streamed here at 14.00 Oslo-time.
The UN70 initiative's five recommendations for the next UN Secretary-General:
- Be your own boss: invest in your relationship with member states but be independent
- Be our number one diplomat
- Be our chief global activist
- Be the advocate for the world's 65 million displaced people
- Be a leader in integrating human rights into all UN activities
Follow the debate on Twitter and the hashtag #UN70initiative