Article | Last updated: 2017-04-05 | Ministry of Agriculture and Food
The Government will introduce a series of measures and strategies that will contribute to the sustainable development of reindeer Husbandry.
Objectives of reindeer policy
- Prioritize ecological sustainability in the Reindeer Husbandry Act's statement of purpose.
- The Sami Parliament and Norwegian Sami Reindeer Herders' Association are invited to join in the work of reviewing the contents of the triple objective of reindeer policy.
A better resource management
- Stock figures for individual owners are to be published internally in the industry, and there will be a gradual introduction of mandatory individual marking.
- Facilitate the use of available technology in resource management and operations, in order to e.g. reducing loss due to train accidents.
- Continue work on loss reduction measures, focusing on professional reindeer as well as predator management.
- Adapt reindeer husbandry area emergency services to a situation with variable weather and pasture conditions.
- Take measures to reduce the risk of spreading Chronic wasting disease (CWD) to reindeer industry livestock.
The value chain in reindeer husbandry
- Facilitate increased value by private butchering and sale of reindeer meat. Consumers must be guaranteed access to safe food, and processing waste must be handled in an environmentally responsible manner.
- Strengthen marketing by ensuring better reporting on butchered reindeer, and regarding high meat quality through the new classification system.
- Facilitate increased professionalization of the reindeer meat industry through continued skills acquisition and business development assistance, and market orientation.
- Continue to assist in enhancing the culinary aspect of reindeer-based tourism.
- Facilitate easier export procedures for spin-off products to high-return markets.
Family based reindeer husbandry
- Contribute to a positive development of the family-based reindeer husbandry by allowing a portion of the revenue to be obtained from activities related to reindeer herding.
- Facilitate the creation of education and health care services and various tourism products related to reindeer husbandry.
The Annual Reindeer Agreement
- Prioritize strengthening the business aspect by measures to stimulate ecologically sustainable, production-oriented, profitable and market-oriented development of reindeer husbandry.
- Give priority to linking the direct subsidy schemes to the classification system to reward best practices and production of high quality meat.
Grazing in the border areas
- Work actively with Swedish authorities to agree on a renewed reindeer grazing convention between Norway and Sweden as soon as possible.
- Follow up new Norwegian-Finnish reindeer fence Convention, such as erecting a border fence between the two countries.
Reindeer Industry Management
- Aim to further streamline and simplify bureaucracy. Alternative solutions for a future management structure are presented, particularly regarding the function and role of the Reindeer Husbandry Board.