Established: 1. October 1939
Abolished: 30. September 1942
The Ministry of Provisioning (of 1939) was established on 1 October 1939. The reason was the provisioning situation after the outbreak of war in Europe on 1 September 1939. Provisioning affairs were transferred from the Ministry of Agriculture, crisis legislation affairs from the Ministry of Trade (of 1916).
During the Second World War 1940-1945, Norwegian ministries were working under the legal leadership of Johan Nygaardsvold’s Government in exile in London, and under Nazi Germany’s occupation authorities in Oslo (marked NS).
On 1 October 1942, the Ministry of Provisioning (of 1939) in London had its name changed to the Ministry of Provisioning and Reconstruction. Trade affairs were transferred from the Ministry of Trade (of 1916), while shipping affairs were transferred to the new Ministry of Shipping.
In Oslo, the Ministry of Provisioning (of 1939) NS was by Nazi-German occupation authorities merged with the Ministry of Trade (of 1916) NS. This had its name changed to the Ministry of Industry NS, listed here as the Ministry of Industry (of 1943) NS.
On 8 May 1945, the ministry structure in Oslo was re-established as it was on 9 April 1940.