Elections and democracy
The Ministry of Local Government and Regional Development has the overall responsibility for the conduct of elections and for matters relating to local government and local democracy.
The main features of the Norwegian electoral system
The Norwegian electoral system is based on the principles of direct election and proportional representation in multi-member electoral divisions.
Here you will find the Election Act, the Election regulations and the Election manual.
The purpose of election observation is to determine whether the election and the electoral process are in compliance with national and international legislation and other universal principles for democratic elections.
More on elections and democracy
Latest on elections and democracy
- Statement by Foreign Minister Huitfeldt on the developments in Israel Press release 27/03/2023
- Joint statement on the situation for women and girls in Afghanistan on International Women’s Day News story 08/03/2023
- Statement by Foreign Minister on Belarus News story 07/03/2023
- Foreign Minister condemns sentencing of Aung San Suu Kyi News story 10/01/2022
- Statement on the verdict against President Win Myin and State Councellor Aung San Suu Kyi News story 06/12/2021
- NOU 2022: 9 - The Norwegian Commission for Freedom of Expression Report Norwegian Official Report (NOU) 15/08/2022
- Prop. 89 L (2020–2021) - Temporary Act relating to amendments to the Election Act and Local Government Act (measures for remedying the negative consequences of Covid-19) Proposition 19/02/2021
- Prop. 67 L (2020–2021) - Amendments to the Election Act (assistance when voting) Proposition 18/12/2020
- Investigation into foreign informational influence Report 07/09/2020
- NOU 2020: 6 - Free and secret elections Norwegian Official Report (NOU) 27/05/2020