Equality and diversity
Everyone living in Norway should have equal opportunities to contribute and to participate in the community, regardless of gender, ethnic background, sexual orientation and disability.
More equal and inclusive society for all LGBTQ people
The attack that took place on the night of 25 June 2022 is a painful reminder that work still needs to be done – also politically – to make Norway a safer, more equal and inclusive society for all LGBTQ people. The Government wants to strengthen the efforts to combat discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression and gender characteristics.
Hate speech and cyberhate
No one should be subjected to violence, hate or trolling on the basis of their faith, skin colour, ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression etc. Hate speech and cyberhate can have serious consequences for individuals, groups and society as a whole.
We wish to promote equality and put in place better protection against discrimination for everyone. A society free from discrimination is a prerequisite for equality and equal opportunities. We therefore need a robust and transparent statutory framework that prevents gender-based discrimination, and safeguards legal protection.
More on equality and diversity
Latest on equality and diversity
- Speech at the sixty-seventh session of the Commission on the Status of Women Speech/statement 08/03/2023
- The importance of Gender Equality for Social and Economic Development Speech/statement 01/03/2023
- The Norwegian Government bolsters efforts for gender and sexual diversity in new action plan Press release 17/02/2023
- Government apologises for past treatment of gay people by the Norwegian authorities Press release 21/04/2022
- Action plan to combat discrimination and hatred towards Muslims (2020-2023) Plans/strategy 16/08/2021
- The Norwegian Government's Action Plan against Racism and Discrimination on the Grounds of Ethnicity and Religion 2020-2023 (Extracted Version) Plans/strategy 07/09/2020
- A Society For All Plans/strategy 27/03/2019
- Property Relations Between Spouses Guidelines/brochures 10/01/2018
- CERD - Norway’s 23rd/24th report Report 19/09/2017
Department for Equality, Non-discrimination and International Affairs
Address: Postboks 8030 Dep, 0030 Oslo
Visitor address: Grubbegata 1, Oslo,