The Government is committed to the oceans and Norway is playing a leading role in the global efforts to promote clean and healthy oceans. Approximately 225,000 Norwegians work in the three large ocean industry sectors; petroleum, seafood and maritime industries, helping to generate approximately NOK 695 billion in value in 2019.
The ocean nation of Norway
Every day hundreds of thousands of Norwegians go to work in the ocean industries, which together account for about 70 per cent of Norway’s export earnings.
More on the ocean
Latest on the ocean
- World’s countries reach agreement on conservation of marine biodiversity in the high seas Press release 07/03/2023
- Important step for Offshore Wind Press release 06/12/2022
- Nigeria and Norway strengthen partnership in fight against fisheries crime Press release 29/08/2022
- Strengthened Nordic cooperation on oceans and climate action Press release 15/08/2022
- Norwegian satellites may help developing countries in the fight against illegal fishing Press release 01/07/2022
- Norway’s Chairship of the Arctic Council 2023–2025 Guidelines/brochures 28/03/2023
- The Government’s commitment to the ocean and ocean industries Report 01/07/2021
- Meld. St. 29 (2020–2021) - Norway’s integrated plan for the conservation of areas of special importance for marine biodiversity Report to the Storting 09/04/2021
- The Norwegian Development Program to Combat Marine Litter and Microplastics Plans/strategy 15/05/2020
- Meld. St. 20 (2019–2020) - Norway’s integrated ocean management plans — Barents Sea–Lofoten area; the Norwegian Sea; and the North Sea and Skagerrak Report to the Storting 24/04/2020