The High North
The world is turning its attention towards the North where Norway has key interests to pursue. By investing in knowledge, business development and international cooperation we are strengthening Norway’s position as a responsible actor and partner in the North.
Norway's Arctic Policy
The Norwegian Government presented a new white paper on Arctic policy November 2020. A short version is now available in English. The new white paper underlines the importance of bilateral, regional and multilateral cooperation with our neighbours and partners in the Arctic, also in the face of a more challenging security environment.
The Arctic Council
The Arctic Council is the only circumpolar body for political cooperation at government level. It provides a forum for discussion between the eight Arctic states and representatives of indigenous peoples on issues of common interest. The Council promotes sustainable development and environmental protection in the Arctic.
More on the high north
Latest on the high north
- Priorities for Norway’s Chairship of the Arctic Council Press release 28/03/2023
- Statement at the Arctic Frontiers conference 2023 Speech/statement 31/01/2023
- Statement at Arctic Frontiers Speech/statement 09/05/2022
- Statement of Finland, Denmark, Iceland, Norway, Sweden and the European Union regarding Barents Euro-Arctic cooperation News story 09/03/2022
- Statement by the European Union, Iceland and Norway regarding the Northern Dimension policy News story 09/03/2022
- Norway’s Chairship of the Arctic Council 2023–2025 Guidelines/brochures 28/03/2023
- Meld. St. 20 (2020–2021) - National Transport Plan 2022–2033 Report to the Storting 19/03/2021
- The Norwegian Government's Arctic Policy Report 26/01/2021
- Meld. St. 20 (2019–2020) - Norway’s integrated ocean management plans — Barents Sea–Lofoten area; the Norwegian Sea; and the North Sea and Skagerrak Report to the Storting 24/04/2020
- Arctic Strategy Plans/strategy 06/07/2017
Section for the High North, Polar Affairs and Marine Resources
Phone: +47 23 95 15 64
Address: Postboks 8114 Dep., 0032 Oslo
Visitor address: 7. juniplassen 1 / Victoria Terrasse 7,