The threat against Norway is downgraded

The Norwegian Police Security Service (PST) states that the threat level in Norway is on the way back to where it was when they presented their threat assessment in February 2014.


The Minister of Justice and Public Security Anders Anundsen, Head of PST Benedicte Bjørnland and the Police Director Odd Reidar Humlegård presented the downgraded threat at a press conference on Thursday 31 July. See the press conference on web tv (Norwegian only)

 

The Norwegian Police Security Service (PST) states that the threat in Norway is back to where it was when they presented their threat assessment in February 2014.

Since the announcement of an unspecified but specific threat against Norway last week, the authorities took a series of measures to secure the country.

– These measures were essential. We would have behaved irresponsibly if we had not taken the information we received with the utmost seriousness. I believe we did right to warn the population, given that the PST had information about a real threat to Norway, says Anders Anundsen, Norwegian Minister of Justice and Public Security.

One of the purposes of informing the public about the threat was to prevent and deter those who planned a terrorist act. Now the PST assess that there is no additional information that supports the specific threat against Norway. The police will therefore continue to reduce the increased response level.

– This specific threat has made ​​it clear that we have a preparedness system that works. The preparedness can escalate sharply when the situation demands it. I would like to thank all the men and women who have met up on short notice to maintain the necessary preparedness, says the Minister.