News story | Date: 23/12/2021 | Ministry of Health and Care Services
Corona information is frequently changed and may therefore be out of date.
The special entry restrictions that were introduced for travellers arriving from 8 countries in Southern Africa at the end of November will be removed. The measures were introduced to limit and delay the spread of the Omicron variant. The Norwegian Government is keeping the strict general entry restrictions that apply to arrival in Norway.
‘Omicron is now established in many countries, including Norway. The Norwegian Directorate of Health and the Norwegian Institute of Public Health believe that it is no longer expedient to keep specific measures that target travellers from these 8 countries. This is why the special measures are being removed. We are also keeping the strict general entry restrictions that apply to arrival in Norway,’ says Minister of Health and Care Services Ingvild Kjerkol.
The special measures targeted travellers arriving from South Africa, Mozambique, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Lesotho, Eswatini, and Malawi, where the virus variant was discovered. The change will enter into effect on 22 December at 12 am.
Measures that will be kept
The strict general entry measures that apply to arrival in Norway will be kept. They include:
- a requirement of entry registration for all travellers;
- a general requirement for all travellers to get tested upon arrival in Norway;
- a requirement of documentation of a negative test taken before arrival for people who cannot produce a verifiable COVID-19 certificate showing that they are fully vaccinated or have recovered from COVID-19 during the past 6 months;
- travel quarantine for people who arrive from a country that triggers a duty to quarantine and who cannot produce a verifiable COVID-19 certificate showing that they are fully vaccinated or have recovered from COVID-19 during the past 6 months.
Measures that will be removed
The special measures that target travellers arriving from the 8 countries in Southern Africa that will be removed on 22 December at 12 am are:
- a requirement for travellers arriving in Norway on a direct flight from these countries not to disembark the plane;
- a requirement of documentation of a negative test taken before arrival for all travellers;
- travel quarantine for all travellers;
- a requirement to stay at a quarantine hotel.
People who are staying at a quarantine hotel when the Regulations enter into effect may complete the travel quarantine in their own home or other suitable accommodation where it is possible to avoid close contact with others and stay in a private bedroom with a separate bathroom and kitchen or food service. They can take public transport to new accommodation. They can complete their travel quarantine at the quarantine hotel if they want to.