Ministry of Traffic NS (1944–1945)
Established: 1. February 1944
Abolished: 8. May 1945
After Nazi Germany’s attack on Norway on 9 April 1940, which forced King Haakon VII and Johan Nygaardsvold’s Government to leave Oslo with civil servants from the ministries, government offices in Oslo were placed under Nazi-German occupation authorities (marked NS). From 11 June 1940, Nygaardsvold’s Government established a Norwegian structure of ministries in London.
In Oslo, the illegal government appointed on 9 April 1940 by Vidkun Quisling, leader of the Norwegian Nazi party Nasjonal Samling (NS), attempted to take control of the ministries until it was dissolved by German occupation authorities on 14 April 1940. Until 25 September 1940, ministries in Oslo were to a certain degree controlled by the Administrative Council, appointed by the Supreme Court with the understanding of the occupation authorities. From 25 September 1940, the ministries in Oslo were under the control of the occupation authorities, from 1 February 1942 formally via Vidkun Quisling’s illegal government of that date.
The Ministry of Labour (of 1885) NS in Oslo on 1 February 1944 had its name changed to the Ministry of Traffic NS.
On 8 May 1945, the ministry structure in Oslo was re-established as it was on 9 April 1940.
Skarphagen, Hans (NS)
- Illegal minister of traffic NS – Illegal Vidkun Quisling government in Oslo 1942-1945 01/02/1944–08/05/1945