Article | Last updated: 17/10/2013
This fact sheet presents the content of the white paper on Norwegian refugee and migration policy in a European perspective and the Government’s 22 main priorities in the field of refugees and migration in the time ahead.
- Norwegian refugee and migration policy is decided by the Norwegian political authorities on the basis of national considerations and in accordance with international law.
- It is only through greater cooperation, harmonisation and coordination that Europe can meet the challenges it is facing in relation to refugees and migration.
- Policy developments in the EU will influence Norway. Further development of EU legislation will entail changes in the areas to which Norway is linked through the Schengen and the Dublin Cooperation.
- The Government’s overriding goals for its efforts in the refugee and immigration field are to ensure controlled immigration that benefits society and a humane asylum and refugee policy based on the principles of solidarity and due process protection.
- The Government’s 22 main priorities in the field of refugees and migration in the time ahead.