Established: 1. October 1942
Abolished: 5. November 1945
During the Second World War 1940-1945, Norwegian ministries were working under the legal leadership of Johan Nygaardsvold’s Government in exile in London, and under Nazi Germany’s occupation authorities in Oslo (marked NS).
On 25 September 1940, occupation authorities in Oslo established the Ministry of Shipping (of 1940) NS.
The Ministry of Shipping (of 1942) was established in London on 1 October 1942. Shipping affairs were transferred from the Ministry of Provisioning (of 1939).
On 12 June 1944, the Ministry of Shipping (of 1940) NS in Oslo was merged into the Ministry of Industry (of 1943) NS.
On 8 May 1945, the ministry structure in Oslo was re-established as it was on 9 April 1940.
On 5 November 1945, the Ministry of Shipping (of 1942) was abolished. Its affairs were transferred to the Ministry of Trade (of 1916).