Permanent residence and contact arrangements

Parental disputes

Parents who do not live together may make their own agreements concerning parental responsibility, permanent residence and contact visits for their children. The local Family Counselling Office may assist in this. Parents who fail to reach agreement may bring legal action.

The child's place of residence and contact arrangements

Parents are free to agree on arrangements regarding parental responsibility, the child's place of residence, and access and contact arrangements. In the event of a separation, married and cohabiting parents with children under the age of 16 are obliged to attend mediation. Mediation provides assistance for parents in order to reach agreements which are in the best interests of the child.


Parental disputes

Out of considiration for the child, it is important that the parents focus on the child’s needs and cooperate on parenting.