Government food policy covers the entire production chain, from farm to fork - and consumer opinions are given considerable weight when policy is formulated. The main objective is to safeguard the supply of sufficient, safe and varied high quality food at a reasonable price. Due to an active and goal-oriented management of food and agriculture, Norwegian consumers can select more and more food from local farms.
Food is public health and it is delight, it is national and international, trendy and traditional. Food determines family budgets and social economics, regional policy and industrial policy, management of fisheries and - not least - of agriculture.
Food and Consumers
Norwegian consumers take a great interest in how food is produced, processed and traded in Norway, and consumer opinion is given considerable weight when formulating food policies.
In comparison to other countries, Norway has few problems with food as a disease vector. Although food safety is generally good, it requires a sustained effort to ensure that food remains safe.
More on food
Latest on food
- The Svalbard Global Seed Vault celebrates its 15th anniversary with new seed deposits News story 28/02/2023
- Statement on shipment of grain from Odesa News story 01/08/2022
- Statement at the Ministerial Conference Uniting for Global Food Security Speech/statement 24/06/2022
- Statement at debate on food security and nutrition Speech/statement 26/05/2022
- Statement on conflict and food security Speech/statement 19/05/2022
- Securing the Gene Pool for Future Agriculture and Food Production Plans/strategy 22/06/2021
- Meld. St. 15 (2017–2018) - A full life - all your life Report to the Storting 04/05/2018
- Norwegian National Action Plan for a Healthier Diet – an outline Plans/strategy 07/08/2017
- Meld. St. 19 (2016–2017) - Experiencing Norway – a unique adventure Report to the Storting 17/03/2017
- NOU 2015: 15 - Environmental Pricing (Summary) Norwegian Official Report (NOU) 09/12/2015
Ministry of Agriculture and Food
Phone: (+47) 22 24 90 90
Address: Postboks 8007 Dep. , 0030 Oslo
Visitor address: Teatergata 9 (R6), Oslo