Svalbard Global Seed Vault
Welcome to the Svalbard Global Seed Vault
Way up north, in the permafrost, 1300 kilometers beyond the Arctic Circle, is the world's largest secure seed storage, opened by the Norwegian Government in February 2008. From all across the globe, crates of seeds are sent here for safe and secure long-term storage in cold and dry rock vaults.
A global backstop
The vault hold the seeds of many tens of thousands of varieties of essential food crops such as beans, wheat and rice. These seed samples are duplicates of seed sample stores in national, regional and international gene banks.
Seeds remain depositors' property
The Seed Bank was established and is fully funded by the Norwegian government, with the responsibility for operations assigned to The Ministry of Agriculture and Food. The Ministry coordinates daily operation with the Nordic Gene Resource Centre and the Global Crop Diversity Trust, and receives guidance from a dedicated international council established to advise the Seed Bank.
Video - Svalbard Global Seed Vault
Way up north, in the permafrost, 1300 kilometers beyond the Arctic Circle, is the world's largest secure seed storage. A video produced by the Norwegian Ministry of Agriculture and Food tells the story about the Vault.
The Svalbard Global Seed Vault celebrates its 15th anniversary with new seed deposits
Today, the 15th anniversary of the opening of the Svalbard Global Seed Vault was celebrated by 20 international gene banks depositing 20,000 new seed samples in the vault in Longyearbyen.
Two Newcomers Join Svalbard Global Seed Vault for Final Opening of 2022
The Svalbard Global Seed Vault is set to accept new seed shipments from 12 genebanks around the world this week, adding two countries to its family of depositors in the process: Iraq and Uruguay.
- The Svalbard Global Seed Vault celebrates its 15th anniversary with new seed deposits News story 28/02/2023
- Two Newcomers Join Svalbard Global Seed Vault for Final Opening of 2022 News story 12/10/2022
- Midnight Sun Shines on Latest Svalbard Global Seed Vault Deposit News story 10/06/2022
- New seeds to Svalbard vault enhances global food security News story 13/02/2022
- Two new first-time depositors welcomed to the Svalbard Global Seed Vault News story 28/10/2021