The Government Pension Fund
The purpose of the Government Pension Fund is to facilitate government savings to finance rising public pension expenditures, and support long-term considerations in the spending of government petroleum revenues. A sound long-term management of the Fund contributes to intergenerational equity, by allowing both current and future generations to benefit from the petroleum revenues.
The Ministry of Finance holds the overall responsibility for the management of the Government Pension Fund. The operational management of the GPFG and GPFN is carried out by Norges Bank and Folketrygdfondet, respectively, under mandates laid down by the Ministry.
The investment strategy for the Fund is based on long-term considerations of different investment choices. Good financial return over time is deemed to be contingent on a sustainable development in economic, environmental and social terms, and on well-functioning, efficient and legitimate financial markets.
The framework for the Government Pension Fund and the management of fund assets are laid down by Act of Parliament and guidelines with supplementary provisions.
The Government Pension Fund 2023 white paper
Annual white paper on the Government Pension Fund
Topics in this year’s paper include how international economic and political developments may affect the Government Pension Fund Global, and a new review of the active management of the Government Pension Fund Norway.
The National Budget 2023
A budget for security and fair distribution
There is a war and an energy crisis in Europe. High inflation is affecting people’s lives. The Government’s response is a fair and responsible budget, which improves distribution and enhances security at a challenging time.
More on the government pension fund
Latest on the government pension fund
- Revised National Budget: A responsible budget that provides security for people throughout Norway Press release 11/05/2023
- Revised National Budget: Key figures in the Revised National Budget 2023 Press release 11/05/2023
- Annual white paper on the Government Pension Fund Press release 31/03/2023
- The National Budget 2023: A budget for security and fair distribution Press release 06/10/2022
- The National Budget 2023: Key Figures in the National Budget 2023 Press release 06/10/2022
- Meld. St. 17 (2022–2023) - The Government Pension Fund 2023 Report to the Storting 31/03/2023
- Government Pension Fund and the Santiago principles Guidelines/brochures 31/01/2023
- NOU 2022: 12 - The Fund in a changing world Norwegian Official Report (NOU) 26/09/2022
- Meld. St. 9 (2021–2022) - The Government Pension Fund 2022 Report to the Storting 01/04/2022
- Climate risk and the Government Pension Fund Global Report 20/08/2021
Asset Management Department
Phone: +47 22 24 41 63
Address: Postboks 8008 Dep, 0030 Oslo
Visitor address: Akersgata 40, 0030 Oslo