Enable Javascript in your browser for an improved experience of regjeringen.no

Ministry of Finance and Customs (1846–2000)

On 1 January 1846, the Ministry of Finance, Trade and Customs had its name changed to the Ministry of Finance and Customs. Trade affairs were transferred to the new Ministry of the Interior (of 1846).

On 1 October 1878, forestry affairs were transferred to the Ministry of Finance and Customs from the Ministry of the Interior (of 1846).

On 1 July 1913, affairs concerning the Holdings and Housing Bank, sickness and relief funds and life insurance companies, were transferred from the Ministry of Finance and Customs to the Ministry of Social Affairs (of 1913).

On 1 October 1916, Kongsberg Silver Mine and Mint was transferred from the Ministry of Finance and Customs to the new Ministry of Trade (of 1916).

On 20 April 1917, the Pension Fund and the Widows’ Fund were transferred from the Ministry of Finance and Customs to the Ministry of Social Affairs (of 1916).

On 30 April 1920, industrial provisioning affairs and export ban affairs were transferred to the Ministry of Finance and Customs from the abolished Ministry of Industrial Provisioning.

During the Second World War 1940-1945, Norwegian ministries were working under the legal leadership of Johan Nygaardsvold’s Government in exile in London, and under Nazi Germany’s occupation autorities in Oslo (marked NS). The Ministry of Finance and Customs NS in Oslo was not organisationally altered during the war years.

On 8 May 1945, the ministry structure in Oslo was re-established as it was on 9 April 1940. At the same time, prices control affairs were transferred to the Ministry of Finance and Customs from the Ministry of Justice and the Police, while local police affairs were transferred from the Ministry of Finance and Customs to the Ministry of Justice and the Police.

On 1 January 1980, long term planning and coordination affairs were transferred to an additional minister in the Ministry of Finance and Customs. On 1 January 1982, this office as additional minister was abolished.

On 25 October 1996, responsibility for long term planning and the Planning Department in the Ministry of Finance and Customs was transferred to an additional minister in an office provided by the Office of the Prime Minister. On 15 November 1996, these affairs were transferred to the Ministry of Government Administration.

On 1 January 2000, the Ministry of Finance and Customs had its name changed to the Ministry of Finance.

Politicians

Go to the top